[webkit-gtk] WebKit2 zoom API

Gustavo Noronha Silva gns at gnome.org
Mon Jan 9 04:42:22 PST 2012

On Thu, 2012-01-05 at 17:05 +0100, Xan wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 1:59 PM, Carlos Garcia Campos
> <cgarcia at igalia.com> wrote:

>         At the same time? do you know of a use case where this is
>         needed or
>         desired?
>

> I second this request. It seems like a corner case to me (as Carlos
> said in the thread opener none of the apps analysed did anything like
> that), and as long as it's possible for people to use the C API when
> they actually need to do this I think we should design the GObject API
> to be easy to use for the common case. My understanding, and I can be
> wrong, is that the C API needs to expose everything is possible to do,
> to some extent, but that does not mean that our wrapper should do the
> same, especially when they can both be used. Am I wrong?

I think you're right, and I agree the goal should be making the main use
cases simple. My main concern is making the API artificially limited by
introducing a boolean, in this case, which seems unnecessary. I see no
problem with just using the C API if needed, but since people were
having second thoughts about whether exposing the C API as public API
made sense, I don't think we can surely know we will be able to rely on
it. Or was the decision to make the C API public been made?

Cheers,

--
Gustavo Noronha Silva <gns at gnome.org>
GNOME Project