[webkit-gtk] hovering-over-link signal and HitTestResult in WebKit2 API

Martin Robinson mrobinson at webkit.org
Thu Feb 2 11:10:01 PST 2012

On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 10:25 AM, Carlos Garcia Campos
<cgarcia at igalia.com> wrote:
> Ok, I understand Element can be confusing, but I still think
> HitTestResult sounds like the result of a HitTest. In both cases,
> hovering-whatever signal and context menu, it will be used to give
> context to the user about the thing affected, so I thin the name should
> be consistent with both. For example, CursorTargetInformation or
> WebKitMouseTarget, as you proposed in previous mails, might not be
> accurate either for a context menu triggered with the keyboard. So I
> would rather use a generic name that could be used in both cases, but I
> can't think of any . . .

I think I understand more clearly why you dislike the HitTestResult
name. It seems that whatever name we choose should take into account
the fact that, in the future, the API may allow creating one manually.
You brought this up in a previous mail and I think it could be a
useful feature.

If we sought to add this feature to the API, would it be sufficient to
say in the documentation for context menus and hovering APIs that "an
implicit hit test is done at the point of interest?" Then we could use
the HitTestResult and maintain a bit of consistency.

--Martin