[webkit-gtk] WebKit2 GTK+ API

Gustavo Noronha Silva gns at gnome.org
Tue Sep 20 11:15:30 PDT 2011

On Thu, 2011-09-15 at 11:50 +0200, Carlos Garcia Campos wrote:
>  - Try to keep webkit1 API when possible to make porting apps easier.
>  - Use async API following the glib/gio pattern for operations started
>    by the user like loading a page, finding text, etc. that has an end.
>  - Use signals for actions not started by the user that can happen at
>    any time.
>  - Don't use signals for notifications on preperties, use notify
>    instead. (These signals are already deprecated in webkit1 indeed)
>  - The API should be non-blocking so try to not add sync versions of
>    the methods unless it's really necessary.
>  - And of course try be as gnome-y as possible. WebKitGTK+ should be
>    used like other gnome libs.

What do you think of splitting WebKitWebView in more objects with fewer
responsibilities each? For the clutter port we split most of WebView
into a WebPage object that has no dependency and knowledge of the
widget, and that brings some interesting possibilities to the table,
like enabling us to provide different widget types that not necessarily
inherit from the same parent, and provide a 'headless' mode.

I very much welcome this initiative, by the way, thanks for pushing it!
I'll try harder to keep up, discuss and contribute, I think it's a great
opportunity to flesh out some great API.

Cheers,
--
Gustavo Noronha Silva <gns at gnome.org>
GNOME Project