[webkit-gtk] 1.4.1 - CLOSE_WAIT

Dan Winship danw at gnome.org
Mon Jun 27 09:19:08 PDT 2011

On 06/24/2011 04:49 PM, David Hill wrote:
> When using a browser with WebkitGTk 1.4.1, I get a lot of CLOSE_WAITs
> sitting around.  Does Webkit open up sockets itself, or does it solely
> use libsoup to do the web connections?

This is one of the leftover bits of historical lameness in libsoup. It
doesn't pay attention to persistent connections when they're idle. So if
the server times out a connection and closes it, it will show up in
CLOSE_WAIT on the client for a while. Libsoup will only notice it when
either you try to connect to that server again, or if it hits the
maximum-number-of-open-connections limit.

-- Dan