[webkit-gtk] What supposed to hold the GDK in calls from WebKit/gtk/WebCoreSupport

Yehouda Harpaz yeh at lispworks.com
Sun Aug 21 03:50:12 PDT 2011

>  On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 6:00 PM, Yehouda Harpaz <yeh at lispworks.com> wrote:
>  >>  http://blogs.operationaldynamics.com/andrew/software/gnome-desktop/gtk-thread-awareness
>  >
>  > I read this and it didn't tell me anything that I don't already know,
>  > and didn't answer the original question (what supposed to hold the GDK
>  > lock in calls from WebKit/gtk/WebCoreSupport).
>
>  If you are calling GTK+ from threads other than the main one you are
>  the one supposed to lock things properly . Most (all?) GTK+-ish
>  libraries are at best thread-aware, so they don't automatically lock
>  every single GDK/GTK+ function call they make except for things in
>  timeouts/idle handlers (since they are executed outside of the GTK+
>  main lock).

We do lock allour calls, but WebKitGTK doesn't, and that is the
problem. The backtrace in the original message shows that.

Maybe it is assumed that there will a lock around, but I don't see
where. Since it is called from Soup code that is itself called from
g_main_dispatch, there cannot be a lock at that point. And I don't
anyting inside that tries to look.

Can anybody in this list look at the actual and answer the actual
question? Or do I need to send it to anther place?