[webkit-gtk] What supposed to hold the GDK in calls from WebKit/gtk/WebCoreSupport

Xan xan.lopez at gmail.com
Sat Aug 20 19:58:02 PDT 2011

On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 6:00 PM, Yehouda Harpaz <yeh at lispworks.com> wrote:
>>  http://blogs.operationaldynamics.com/andrew/software/gnome-desktop/gtk-thread-awareness
>
> I read this and it didn't tell me anything that I don't already know,
> and didn't answer the original question (what supposed to hold the GDK
> lock in calls from WebKit/gtk/WebCoreSupport).

If you are calling GTK+ from threads other than the main one you are
the one supposed to lock things properly . Most (all?) GTK+-ish
libraries are at best thread-aware, so they don't automatically lock
every single GDK/GTK+ function call they make except for things in
timeouts/idle handlers (since they are executed outside of the GTK+
main lock).

Xan