[webkit-gtk] Unexpected behaviour of webkit_web_view_set_settings

Gavin Lambert gavinl at compacsort.com
Tue Apr 19 18:05:33 PDT 2011

Quoth Martin Robinson:
> What version of WebKitGTK+ are you using. In trunk and in many past
> releases the WebKitWebView instantiates a WebSettings object when it's
> initialized (see webkit_web_view_init). I can't explain why your
> WebSettings objects are dying, if you've managed the reference
> counting properly. Perhaps if you are using a very old version there
> was a bug though.

I'm using a very recent nightly source export of WebKit (r84112), so I doubt it's an age thing. :)

All the internal accesses to the webview's priv->webSettings seem to be null protected, so they seem to expect it to be null occasionally.

Also, regarding webkit_web_view_init, it does look like that would create an initial settings object, but I cannot actually find anywhere that this function gets called.  It's static, so it would have to be somewhere within webkitwebview.cpp, but I can't see it.  It's certainly not getting called from webkit_web_view_new (which seems the most logical place), unless there's some weird macro magic going on.