[webkit-gtk] Implementing Multipointer Support

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Wed Jun 9 07:36:04 PDT 2010

Just a comment: before diving into implementation, I would suggest that
you design how CSS, HTML, and Javascript have to change to handle
multiple independent pointers.  Each of these abstractions embeds the
assumption that there is one pointing device in specific ways
(Javascript is least constraining, CSS is the most).

Note that even "multitouch" displays treat the touches as single input
device controlled by one person, and generate "gesture events" - see the
Safari Reference Manual for gesture input - you get a touch event that
indicates the positions of all the fingers.

The most trivial thing would be just to add additional information to
the incoming "mouse events" coming from GTK, indicating a "mouse ID".
That only begs the question though.

The real question is to define what it means to trigger an "onhover"
event, or to have a "hover" CSS style, or how a click is interpreted.