[webkit-gtk] Layout tests - the breakdown and generating new results

Gustavo Noronha Silva gns at gnome.org
Mon Sep 21 18:19:57 PDT 2009

On Sun, 2009-09-20 at 22:12 +0200, Zan Dobersek wrote:
> In my opinion, we should start generating expected results and 'compare'
> them with expected results on other platforms. With 'compare' I mean to
> semantically and syntactically compare them - whether we are generating
> same render objects (RenderBlock, RenderLayer, ...), whether there are
> no large differences between their positioning (we surely cannot expect
> pixel-by-pixel equal rendering, can we?), if text in lines matches, if
> css attributes match etc.

I started doing that, bug zecke convinced me to do it differently. It
looks like we _can_ expect at least equal sizing (which is what matters
to Render dumps) with Mac, indeed, if we use appropriate fonts and GTK+
theme. We could perhaps even get pixel-perfect rendering on many tests,
too.

> PNG. There could be some issues when running these tests because of the
> themed buttons, scrollbar etc, but I believe it is avoidable with
> setting a unique style to the Gtk widget. This one is almost a
> guaranteed fun. :)

We just need to make sure the theme is always the same. That should be
pretty easy to do.

Thanks for your email!

--
Gustavo Noronha Silva <gns at gnome.org>