[webkit-efl] Support for WAI-ARIA standard.

Raphael Kubo da Costa rakuco at webkit.org
Wed Oct 31 08:33:09 PDT 2012

Thanks a lot for the detailed explanation :-) A few comments and
questions below.

Piñeiro <apinheiro at igalia.com> writes:
> at-spi2 is a library that includes the client-side library (libatspi)
> and the DBUS daemon.
>
> ATK is one of the possibles server-side library (at this moment there
> are only two, ATK and QtAccessible).
>
> [...]
>
> In order to expose the information from the server to the client, DBUS
> is used. So it is required a library doing those DBUS calls between the
> server and the client. A bridge. For the case of GNOME, in order to
> avoid to have a bridge for each toolkit, each toolkit implements the ATK
> headers and a ATK-bridge (or adaptor) was created. This bridge uses ATK
> API in order to know how to expose the information.

What do you mean by "implementing the ATK headers"? I've always heard of
ATK as something from GNOME, and the ATK headers as just containing a
set of C functions which depend on glib, not something more high-level
like a set of IDL definitions.

Additionally, are ATK and ATK-bridge different things?

> ATK is already toolkit independent. In fact was created with that
> purpose. Although the most common know implementation is GTK, is not
> tied to it. Firefox ATK implementation have some nits of GTK, but this
> is because Firefox is already using GTK on Linux. I implemented the ATK
> support for Clutter, and it doesn't have any GTK reference at all.
>
> [...]
>
> But the case of webkit is different. Thanks to the work done on
> webkit-gtk webkit already have a lot of ATK implementation done. And the
> bridge works fine (both for webkit1 and webkit2). Implementing a new
> bridge (something like webkit-bridge) seems like an overkill to me.

I may have expressed myself wrongly -- ATK itself does not depend on
GTK+, but it does depend on glib, right? I wasn't thinking of some
webkit-bridge, but perhaps an EFL-bridge (I'm not even sure if this
concept even make sense, mind you).

--
Intel Finland Oy
Registered Address: PL 281, 00181 Helsinki