[webkit-efl] Deprecating WebKit EFL 1

Lucas De Marchi lucas.demarchi at profusion.mobi
Tue Oct 30 08:51:49 PDT 2012

[ CC'ing enlightenment-devel]

On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 1:08 PM, Thiago Marcos P. Santos
<tmpsantos at gmail.com> wrote:
> Nowadays, most of the development is happening on EWK2. Maybe is time
> to trace some plans and discuss about when and how to deprecate the
> EWK1 API.
>
> Maintaining 2 APIs is like working on two different ports. You have
> more bots to do gardening, more tests to run before submitting a
> patch, more issues to solve, more APIs to document and write unit
> tests. EFL has a small community of developers, focusing on a single
> API will make us go faster and with more quality.
>

> What I'm suggesting is:
>
> - Announce (formal announcement here and EFL-dev) that EWK1 will be
> considered deprecated and thus, feature frozen, starting from
> 01/jan/2013.
> - Remove any EWK1 bot on 15/may/2013.
> - Remove it from the trunk on 01/jun/2013.
>
> Cheers and please comment.

There are lots of concerns from EFL developers (me included) on how
the development of WebKit-EFL is being done. The API of webkit2 even
not being fully supported by EFL, as contrary to webkit1. There's only
1 developer that seemed to care and started to send patches to
elm-web, so webkit2 can be fully supported.

No surprise there was feedback asking for clarifications and why a
simpler api couldn't be used. Now you come and say WebKit1 is being
deprecated.  -1000 here, until the day webkit2 gets fully supported in
EFL and you start to interact more with EFL devs.

On a side node, being a former contributor to webkit-efl, I shrugged
with recent webkit revisions in which we refuse do depend and use EFL
infra but we are now depending on several third-party non-released
libraries. No matter what jhbuild can do for devs we should be using
more of EFL, not less.

Lucas De Marchi