[webkit-efl] Use of pimpl idiom for Ewk classes

Dumez, Christophe christophe.dumez at intel.com
Thu Oct 18 09:27:54 PDT 2012

Hi,

I have updated the Ewk_Download class based on the alternative mentioned by
Thiago and updated a patch here for comparison:
https://bugs.webkit.org/attachment.cgi?id=169425&action=prettypatch
(pimpl patch is still at
https://bugs.webkit.org/attachment.cgi?id=169402&action=prettypatch)

One possible issue that I noticed with this approach is that we need to use
"const char*" instead of "String" type in our C++ methods API due to Eina
string sharing. This is a bit unfortunate since C++ code uses String type
in WebKit.

As I said in my previous email, we also need to write a lot more C++
methods than with the pimpl approach. It will be a lot more work to
refactor all Ewk classes.
This approach however has the benefit of being of simpler design (no
macros, C++ methods can access members directly without dereferencing a
pointer).

I'm personally open to both approaches so I'd like to hear others' opinion.

Kr,
--
Christophe Dumez
Linux Software Engineer, PhD