[webkit-dev] How to embed custom build of WebKit into MacOS app

Moe Bazzi bazzimoe3 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 13:48:23 PST 2023

Hey All! I've been trying to embed a custom build of WebKit (normally the
default build of WebKit that's pre-installed on the system is used). I was
able to link and build the macOS app with the custom WebKit build but I am
having an issue where the main browser process isn't able to launch other
processes like the Web and Networking processes. Specifically, the issue is
coming from XPC which is the MacOS API used by WebKit for cross-process
communication (the specific XPC error is XPC_ERROR_CONNECTION_INVALID).
It's been a real head-scratcher for a week now. I know it's possible to
embed a custom build of WebKit into a macOS because there are other
WebKit-based browsers out there that are able to do this, like Orion (
https://browser.kagi.com).

Thanks!