[webkit-dev] Update commit log template to make GNU changelog optional

Michael Catanzaro mcatanzaro at gnome.org
Thu Nov 17 15:23:50 PST 2022

Hi,

I'd like to remove the GNU changelog from the bottom of the commit
messages by default. With "by default" I mean people who prefer to use
the GNU changelog for formatting their commit messages would have to
change git-webkit configuration to keep using it, and it would go away
for everyone else's commit messages. I don't see any reason to prohibit
the changelogs if really desired, but these were designed for an era
before version control existed, to explain what is being changed rather
than why. The freeform commit message that we add above the changelogs
is usually a better way to explain commits.

(Another disadvantage is it is really easy for the changelog to become
stale by mistake. When amending commits, you have to look closely at
the bottom of the commit message template prepared by git-webkit to
notice the updated changelog, then manually replace the original commit
message's changelog. I'm sure we commit inaccurate changelogs all the
time because we forget to do this.)

Michael