[webkit-dev] ChangeLog Deprecation Plans

Yusuke Suzuki ysuzuki at apple.com
Mon Apr 18 14:55:08 PDT 2022

> On Apr 18, 2022, at 12:51 PM, Michael Catanzaro via webkit-dev <webkit-dev at lists.webkit.org> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Apr 18 2022 at 08:30:04 AM -0700, Jonathan Bedard via webkit-dev <webkit-dev at lists.webkit.org> wrote:
>> 2) We need a way to comment on commit messages in review
>> 	Current tooling sets the pull request description as the commit message, “Quote Reply” kind of provides a way to inline comment, although it´s not the formal review UI
>> 	Proposal: Tooling should support a “COMMIT_MESSAGE” file in each pull request commit that becomes COMMIT_MESSAGE when a pull request is landed
>
> Although it's inconvenient that we won't be able to leave inline comments on commit messages anymore, is that really so serious a loss that it requires a strange workaround? It just doesn't seem like a very big deal? We can copy and paste and quote when we suggest changes in commit messages.

I think this is important. We are using commit message / ChangeLog as a document tied to the change, and we are writing very detailed description to make the intention / design of the change clear and making it as a good document when we read the change via git-blame, bisect, using that header, investigating how it works etc.
To make / keep this commit message / ChangeLog helpful, we need review, and I think reviewing of these messages is critical to keep usefulness of them.

I think COMMIT_MESSAGE proposal has various good benefits.

1. We can review commit mesasges.
2. In local development, we can commit expected COMMIT_MESSAGE file directly in our tree. We can eventually add more and more detailed information to this file while local development continues, and we can also revert COMMIT_MESSAGE change since it can be commited in the local branch. Commit message is tied to a commit, so editing commit without breaking commit-message is hard (how to revert one change from one commit without rewriting commit message? It requires some git hack). Separate independent COMMIT_MESSAGE file can solve this problem and makes local development easy.
3. This solves the problem how to squash multiple commits in one PR. Merge-queue can just look at this file and use this as a commit message when squashing and landing. This means that, in a PR, we can push multiple small commits in our PR branch. Merge-queue can get canonical COMMIT_MESSAGE when squashing, so keeping one-commit-per-one-PR in the upstream branch is easy. This allows normal git-based development workflow while keeping commit-message format canonical: creating a topic branch, committing many small changes to this branch, creating a PR, and PR gets merged into the upstream as a single commit.

-Yusuke