[webkit-dev] Let's use -Werror on EWS?

Michael Catanzaro mcatanzaro at gnome.org
Mon May 24 15:42:37 PDT 2021

Hi,

I'd like to suggest turning on -Werror on at least the GTK and WPE EWS,
to reduce the amount of time I spend cleaning up newly-introduced build
warnings. ;)

If we're worried about too many spurious build failures, let's at least
build with a few flags to prevent the most common GCC warnings that
developers using Clang will never notice: -Werror=return-type,
-Werror=class-memaccess, and -Werror=pessimizing-move. These are simple
to avoid if you see the warning from GCC, but very easy to miss if you
develop with Clang. I guess these account for more than half of new GCC
warnings introduced into WebKit.

I'd also like to see -Werror=unused, since it's easy to introduce these
warnings for other ports when doing anything involving conditional
compilation. That might require some CMake changes, though (as we don't
want to break -Wno-unused-parameter, which we use when building
Source/WebKit and several directories under Tools).

But really, rather than cherry-picking particular warning flags, using
-Werror seems simplest to me. Problematic warnings should be disabled
or suppressed.

I do *not* suggest using -Werror on any non-EWS bots, since that will
make gardening harder for almost no benefit. We do not want to lose
test results due to a missing UNUSED_PARAM() or
RELEASE_ASSERT_NOT_REACHED() somewhere. I also certainly do not suggest
using it by default in CMake, which would really annoy our
distributors. I would only use it in the EWS bot config.

Michael