[webkit-dev] Request for Position on URLPattern

Ben Kelly wanderview at google.com
Fri Aug 13 13:19:30 PDT 2021

Hello,

I would like to request an official WebKit position on URLPattern [0].
This is a web API for matching against URLs which is often done in
javascript routing systems.  We also intend to use this same matching
primitive in future changes to service worker scopes.  This larger set of
use cases is described in the explainer. [1]  This particular request,
however, is just for the URLPattern API and does not yet touch service
workers.

URLPattern was discussed in a couple of past TPAC meetings:

* TPAC 2019 [2]
* TPAC 2020 Video Call [3]

In case it's helpful, we also have a summary of web developer feedback
we've received so far. [4]

Thank you.

Ben

[0]: https://wicg.github.io/urlpattern