[webkit-dev] Request for position: Clipboard API SVG support

Wenson Hsieh wenson_hsieh at apple.com
Fri Aug 13 08:23:48 PDT 2021

Hi Darwin!

Adding the SVG MIME type ("image/svg+xml") to the list of web-safe clipboard types (currently plain text, URLs, and HTML) seems reasonable, provided that the UA is able to sanitize the SVG payload (similar to what we do for HTML, currently). On Cocoa platforms, this would probably be bridged to and from the OS in the form of (sanitized) data corresponding to the UTTypeSVG universal type identifier on the platform pasteboard.

As an aside — since SVG documents are parsed using the XML parser as opposed to the HTML parser, supporting SVG as a web-safe clipboard type will be a bit more involved than simply adding "image/svg+xml" to the list of known UA clipboard types and using the current HTML sanitization algorithm.

— Wenson