[webkit-dev] New EWS Non-Unified builder

Carlos Alberto Lopez Perez clopez at igalia.com
Fri Apr 30 06:52:11 PDT 2021

On 30/04/2021 06:17, Darin Adler via webkit-dev wrote:
>> On Apr 29, 2021, at 9:06 PM, Tim Horton via webkit-dev <webkit-dev at lists.webkit.org> wrote:
>>
>> it is definitely highly annoying
>
> It’s possible that where my thinking differs from others on this is that I don’t think shifting annoying work from one set of commits (the ones adding a new file) to a different set (the ones unknowingly adding need for a new include for non-unified builds) is a significant improvement.

I think the issue is not about shifting the work from one sets of commit
to another, but about shifting the work from one developer that is
knowledgable on the code to other that maybe is not.

When you work on a patch, knowing what your includes should be on your
patch is easy if the include-breakage is related with the code you are
touching because you are understanding the code you are working on.

But when totally unrelated code breaks because of your patch, then is
not so easy to quickly fix the issue. At least for those of us that
don't know everything about the internals of WebKit.

Is also not hard, but it would be much easier to fix for the person that
introduced that code since they were familiar with it.

So meanwhile the person that wrote that code would have identified the
include that was missing in X time, I would need X*100 time because I
first need to understand what is going on, and then understand the bare
minimum of the unrelated code that broke to identify the issue, to
finally start hunting down via greps the missing include file. And this
assumes you are already familiar with this issue of missing include
files happening randomly, because otherwise the first time you discover
this you will spend even more time wondering what is happening.

> Adding more EWS bubbles has a cost.

Indeed.
But if it saves time to developers working on the codebase (which I
truly believe it does) then I think it really outweighs the cost IMHO.