[webkit-dev] WebKit Transition to Git

Michael Catanzaro mcatanzaro at gnome.org
Fri Oct 2 17:05:21 PDT 2020

On Fri, Oct 2, 2020 at 13:48, Ken Russell <kbr at google.com> wrote:
> Github's code review UI has a couple of feature gaps in my opinion.
> It's difficult to look at earlier versions of the pull request, in
> particular to verify that issues found during code review have been
> fixed. I remember it also being difficult to figure out whether all
> comments on earlier versions have been addressed.

I'm not familiar with reviews on GitHub. I just want to add that GitLab
reviews are great and have none of these problems. It's very easy to
view older versions of merge requests and compare the differences
between arbitrary revisions of the merge request. (That's often
important when reviewing small changes to a large merge request.) Every
discussion thread is clearly marked as either resolved (green!) or
unresolved, and you can (and should) configure GitLab to block merges
until all discussions are resolved. (I would be disappointed if GitHub
doesn't have the same convenience features, as this helps prevent
mistakes from being forgotten.)

> I realize that Gerrit might not integrate at all with hosting the
> repo on Github, but has any thought been given to this aspect of the
> transition?

That sounds like it would be a significant barrier to contribution, and
frankly defeat the point of switching. If we have serious concerns with
GitHub's code review functionality (which, again, I'm not familiar
with), then we should just use GitLab and have everything in one place.
(GitLab accepts GitHub logins via OAuth, both on gitlab.com and
self-hosted instances, so the barrier to contributing remains low
either way.)

Michael