[webkit-dev] [webkit-changes] [264332] trunk/Source

Adrian Perez de Castro aperez at igalia.com
Thu Jul 16 15:33:47 PDT 2020

On Thu, 16 Jul 2020 15:01:14 -0700, Darin Adler <darin at apple.com> wrote:
> > On Jul 16, 2020, at 2:28 PM, Adrian Perez de Castro <aperez at igalia.com> wrote:
> >
> > It is not feasible to test unified builds for all the possible combinations of
> > target architectures and set of features enabled at build time (there is a
> > combinatorial explosion of configurations). Keeping non-unified builds in a
> > working state guarantees that regular unified builds will keep working no
> > matter what the build configuration is.
>
> But it doesn’t.

Yes, because enabling/disabling features changes the set of source files to
build, which results in different source files being #included from each
unifier source compilation unit.

> Non-unified builds don’t make it possible to have arbitrary sets of features
> enabled at build time. We break that all the time and it’s only fixed when
> someone tests that arbitrary set of features. Headers are only a small part
> of that issue.

True, and that is why our message for the GTK and WPE ports is always that
we only support builds with the default build options, but of course anyone
is free to change them their mileage may vary.

In practice, we tend to keep things working in a best-effort basis for the
following few cases:

 - Disabling the Wayland or X11 support in the GTK port.
 - Disabling the WPE renderer in the GTK port.
 - Disabling multimedia support in the WPE port.

> I’d go as far as saying it’s not a project goal to always build with
> arbitrary sets of features enabled.

I agree. But even toggling the few features I mentioned above, or the target
architecture to something else than what the bots use, results in build
failures related to unified builds due to different sources being #included
in each unified compilation unit ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Cheers,
—Adrián