[webkit-dev] [webkit-changes] [264332] trunk/Source

Adrian Perez de Castro aperez at igalia.com
Thu Jul 16 15:23:45 PDT 2020

Hi,

On Fri, 17 Jul 2020 06:52:54 +0900, Fujii Hironori <fujii.hironori at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm glad to hear various opinions. Slack still can't beat mailing lists for
> technical discussions.

Aye, in my experience mailing lists are better because having to write down
thoughts in a slightly more structured way (in a mail message to be read
from start to end in one go) results in people organizing their thoughts
better (as opposed to a more or less random exchange of loosely organized
chat messages).

Not to mention that using a mailing list *also* records discussions and the
decisions, thanks to the messages being archived, which is more “durable” for
future reference. Oh, and everybody can easily grab a copy of the mailing list
archives (from the Mailman web interface as mboxes, or keeping their local
copy) so it's less likely that all copies of mailing list archives would
suddenly disappear; but OTOH, as unlikely as it may seem, Slack could go
bankrupt and/or the chat history vanish from one day to another.

> On Fri, Jul 17, 2020 at 6:37 AM Adrian Perez de Castro <aperez at igalia.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Also, some packagers used to carry assorted downstream patches for build
> > issues related to unification build which have not been needed anymore.
> >

> Unified source builds can have performance merit.
> The SQLite Amalgamation makes it 5% and 10% faster.
> https://www.sqlite.org/amalgamation.html

Well, this is what Link-Time Optimization is for, without needing to resort to
ugly preprocessor tricks. I would rather let the compiler and linker do their
job—it's 2020 and any serious toolchain supports it by now ;-)

Cheers,
—Adrián