[webkit-dev] Request for position on Badging API

Dean Jackson dino at apple.com
Sun Feb 16 08:03:36 PST 2020

Not speaking for all of WebKit, and definitely not all of Apple, but I think this seems like a good idea.

I'm not sure I get the distinction between app badges and document badges though. I'd also like to see some specification text describing how the browser should ignore multiple set/clear operations executed in rapid succession (e.g. to create a blinking badge) - maybe the limit is one badge operation per minute or something?

Also, given that the main use case for this would be alerting the user to a notification, it seems like it should be able to link it directly to that. This would provide the ability for a push notification to trigger the badge without ever firing up the page context.

Dean