[webkit-dev] Considering to remove ENABLE_METER_ELEMENT flag

Takeshi Kurosawa taken.spc at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 09:59:15 PDT 2020

Hi all,
Note: I'm not affiliated with either Apple, Igalia, or Sony.

It seems that the specification of <meter> element is mature and the
current WebKit codebase doesn't require platform specific code to
render <meter> element.

I see no strong reason to have the METER_ELEMENT flag today and I
think we could remove it.
https://webkit-search.igalia.com/webkit/search?q=METER_ELEMENT

At the time of this writing, the only port disables METER_ELEMENT flag
is PlayStation.
https://webkit-search.igalia.com/webkit/rev/a05c8cea48e9b0853834e0278f1926c6a4a1529a/Source/cmake/OptionsPlayStation.cmake#70

It would be helpful if PlayStation port could consider enabling
METER_ELEMENT flag.

I think PlayStation port could enable the flag as is:

1. Rendering of <meter> element falls back to platform independent
user agent style sheets so no platform specific code is required.

2. There is some code in WebCore/accessibility/ that is related to
<meter> element, PlayStation port disables accessibility completely so
that it won't affect.

If I missed something, please let me know.

Best wishes,
Takeshi
--
Takeshi Kurosawa <taken.spc at gmail.com>