[webkit-dev] Can the WebKit logo be used for WebKit ports? (like WebKitGTK)

Ryosuke Niwa rniwa at webkit.org
Thu Oct 10 13:08:02 PDT 2019

On Thu, Oct 10, 2019 at 9:03 AM Carlos Alberto Lopez Perez <
clopez at igalia.com> wrote:

> On 09/10/2019 21:53, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> > In terms of legalities:
> >
> > The WebKit logo (as well as the term WebKit) is trademarked by Apple,
> but there are acceptable use guidelines in the Terms of Use:
> https://webkit.org/terms-of-use/ . I am not a lawyer and cannot give
> legal advice, but my interpretation is that it’s OK to use the WebKit logo
> in association with WebKitGTK. As far as alterations, I think a WebKit logo
> with a GTK+ logo next to it (or Linux logo, whatever), or badging it in the
> corner, would be more in line with the guidelines than a recolor. i.e.
> putting another logo/mark next to the WebKit logo seems more appropriate
> than directly altering the logo.
>

> So, if I understand right... something like this would be more
> acceptable? https://people.igalia.com/clopez/webkit_gtk_corner_logo.png
>
> Personally, i think that is more likely to cause confusion than using a
> logo with different colors, check:
>
> https://people.igalia.com/clopez/wpt_fyi_logo_test.png
> vs
> https://people.igalia.com/clopez/wpt_fyi_logo_test2.png
>

> But if that is ok for you, then for my part is also fine... in the end
> webkitgtk is webkit, right?

People often associate the term "WebKit" with Apple's WebKit port in
practice. The risk here is really about people not understanding the nuance
of port specific bugs & set of features. WebKit's ports are unlike Gecko's
& Blink's because while they may have platform specific bugs, each engine
is supposed to fully support more or less the same set of features on all
platforms equally well, and there is a clear entity which maintains either
engine (Mozilla & Google). With WebKit, that's not the case.

If I were you, I'd do something like putting WebKit logo on a side of GTK+
logo's box.

- R. Niwa