[webkit-dev] Can the WebKit logo be used for WebKit ports? (like WebKitGTK)

Carlos Alberto Lopez Perez clopez at igalia.com
Thu Oct 10 09:02:43 PDT 2019

On 09/10/2019 21:53, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> In terms of legalities:
>
> The WebKit logo (as well as the term WebKit) is trademarked by Apple, but there are acceptable use guidelines in the Terms of Use: https://webkit.org/terms-of-use/ . I am not a lawyer and cannot give legal advice, but my interpretation is that it’s OK to use the WebKit logo in association with WebKitGTK. As far as alterations, I think a WebKit logo with a GTK+ logo next to it (or Linux logo, whatever), or badging it in the corner, would be more in line with the guidelines than a recolor. i.e. putting another logo/mark next to the WebKit logo seems more appropriate than directly altering the logo.

So, if I understand right... something like this would be more
acceptable? https://people.igalia.com/clopez/webkit_gtk_corner_logo.png

Personally, i think that is more likely to cause confusion than using a
logo with different colors, check:

https://people.igalia.com/clopez/wpt_fyi_logo_test.png
vs
https://people.igalia.com/clopez/wpt_fyi_logo_test2.png

But if that is ok for you, then for my part is also fine... in the end
webkitgtk is webkit, right?

And if someone doesn't like this, please let me know, we may try to come
with a new logo for webkitgtk (that is not simply changing the colors).
I just want to know how to best proceed in this regard.

Regards.