[webkit-dev] Windows 32-bit support?

Michael Catanzaro mcatanzaro at igalia.com
Tue Jun 25 07:29:43 PDT 2019

On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 8:31 AM, Arunprasad Rajkumar
<ararunprasad at gmail.com> wrote:
> So my question is, do WebKit/JavaScriptCore still supports 32-bit
> Windows?

Hi Arunprasad,

The last version of WebKitGTK to support Windows was 2.4, from 2014.

If you had 2.22 working, that's news to us. To my knowledge, nobody has
ever done that before. You might well be the only one; certainly you're
the only one to tell us about it. Anyway, that's cool.

We don't support Windows anymore because nobody seems to be interested
in (a) making it work, and (b) maintaining the code upstream. So you're
kinda on your own here. If you only needed a few downstream changes
required to make it work, then we could consider accepting those
upstream if you'd be willing to maintain the Windows-specific parts.
We're not going to be willing to bring back real Windows support
otherwise, since all current developers use Linux and are only
interested in Linux.

Anyway, to answer your question: JavaScriptCore is used on Windows by
the Apple Windows port and the WinCairo port, and there is very little
GTK-specific code in JSC, so this should be the easiest part of
WebKitGTK to get working on Windows. You might consider basing your
Windows port on WinCairo rather than WebKitGTK, since that port is
designed to run on Windows.

Good luck,

Michael