[webkit-dev] Help regarding rendering in webkit2 port of haiku

Noam Rosenthal noam at webkit.org
Sun Jun 9 23:37:06 PDT 2019

~ (reposting from webkit email)

Hello!
I suggest starting by learning one of the other ports - like GTK - how the
whole flow works from the windowing system to WebCore to the graphics
system. Read the code, run it in debug mode and put breakpoints, get those
aha moments of how it all works together.

Note that coordinated graphics is not automatically the right choice for
every port - it was created for mobile windowing systems where window
context-switching was expensive and single-context hardware acceleration
was cheap. If you're looking for a guide check out
https://trac.webkit.org/wiki/CoordinatedGraphicsSystem, hopefully it's
still somewhat valid. I would start there by understanding the flow and how
it fits with the Haiku architecture, seems like you've started doing that
already. you're on the right track there.

btw I might be able to help out (no promises), I haven't touched WebKit
code in a few years but I was responsible for TextureMapper and the
coordinated graphics system and I like bizarre projects (a Haiku port
sounds like one). Let's see how it goes :)