[webkit-dev] Moving to Python 3

Ryosuke Niwa rniwa at webkit.org
Fri Jul 12 19:34:13 PDT 2019

On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 7:03 PM Michael Catanzaro <mcatanzaro at igalia.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 5:22 PM, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa at webkit.org> wrote:
> > I frequently do WebKit development in older versions of macOS to
> > diagnose old OS specific regressions, and having to install Python 3
> > each time I install an old OS is too much of a trouble.
>
> I understand it would be a hassle. :/ But please consider it relative
> to the additional difficulty of rewriting all of webkitpy to support
> multiple versions of python at the same time, or setting up a wrapper
> layer of bash scripts around all of our python scripts to enter a
> virtualenv before executing the real script.

Yeah, and it sounds strictly better that the trouble is handled by people
who maintain Python code who presumably more about Python than a random
WebKit contributor who may not know how to setup virtual environment in
Python, etc...

Again, the argument that the difficulty can be overcome and it's a minor
inconvenience isn't convincing. I can, for example, suggest that we should
just build WebKit using the latest version of clang. Anyone who uses a
system that doesn't come with the latest release of clang should just build
clang instead. There is a significant cost in having to support MSVC and
GC++ so we should just use clang everywhere and only the latest version
like Chromium does.

Each team & person has a different preference & perspective when it comes
to tooling. Please don't break someone else's working workflow based on
your preference.

- R. Niwa