[webkit-dev] Huge improvement in Safari results on wpt.fyi

Geoffrey Sneddon me at gsnedders.com
Fri Oct 12 07:07:18 PDT 2018

See https://github.com/web-platform-tests/wpt/issues/9105 about this.

> Note that there's also the opposite opinion of loading a web font
> potentially hiding bugs:
>
>    https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2017Jan/0053.html
>
> Though I don't have such a strong opinion myself, I think @font-face is
> a fine solution for that problem (and other people seemed to be ok with
> that as well, looking at how that thread continues...).

I don't have a strong opinion here, but: a) it certainly seems
annoying to flush layout and avoid triggering any layout invalidation
bugs; b) we have plenty of other (manual 🙁) tests for the font
matching algorithm (and parts of that obviously do need to use system
installed fonts).

As an aside: when did user installed fonts stop being allowed by
default? r226172 states nothing is using the SPI yet (though did it
already default to No? in which case it has been disallowed by default
since r225641). wpt.fyi seems to have Ahem being installed okay for
STP but not stable, based on infrastructure/assumptions/ahem.html, and
all that does it copy the font to ~/Library/Fonts, which confuses me!

> I don't know if the CSSWG ended up taking an official position on this,
> but may be worth asking in www-style before doing he work of a mass-convert.

I'd like to suggest to discuss this on the above linked WPT issue; the
CSS WG are far from the only stakeholder here (there are plenty of
reftests elsewhere in WPT!).

/g