[webkit-dev] Huge improvement in Safari results on wpt.fyi

Emilio Cobos Álvarez emilio at crisal.io
Thu Oct 11 20:22:52 PDT 2018

On 10/12/18 3:59 AM, Geoffrey Garen wrote:
> Honest question: What’s gross about using @font-face?
>
> It would be lots of test edits. That’s a bummer.
>
> But maybe it’s clearer for the tests to specify the font they want to use. It makes the test self-describing, eliminating the requirement that the user take a step outside the test to get the right result.

Note that there's also the opposite opinion of loading a web font
potentially hiding bugs:

   https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2017Jan/0053.html

Though I don't have such a strong opinion myself, I think @font-face is
a fine solution for that problem (and other people seemed to be ok with
that as well, looking at how that thread continues...).

I don't know if the CSSWG ended up taking an official position on this,
but may be worth asking in www-style before doing he work of a mass-convert.

  -- Emilio