[webkit-dev] Standard process for exporting new WPT tests?

Frédéric Wang fwang at igalia.com
Wed May 23 02:40:48 PDT 2018

Hi all,

When implementing new platform features in WebKit, some of us write new
WPT tests in order to verify spec conformance. One of the reason to use
this format is that the tests can then be easily shared with web engine
developers and people involved in standardization, an important feature
for web platform developers.

Youenn has shared various ideas to export such WPT tests to the W3C
GitHub repository in the past [1] [2] [3] but I'm not sure the WebKit
community has reached an agreement.

There are basically two ways to proceed:

1) Either submit WPT tests to GitHub (or Mozilla / Chromium) repository,
get them reviewed and do the import within the patch that implements the
feature in WebKit.

2) Or submit the patch with new WPT tests to WebKit, get it reviewed and
export it to GitHub (later sync with Mozilla / Chromium).

The first option has the advantage to get more people involved in test
review, which sometimes gives faster replies or useful advice from
people who more familiar with the spec. However, the second option has
the advantage of not splitting the coding & testing parts and is better
for the WebKit implementers and reviewers. That latter option also
aligns with what Mozilla and Chromium developers do.

Can we please agree on a way to proceed? And add documentation somewhere
for developers/reviewers?

Thanks!

[1] https://lists.webkit.org/pipermail/webkit-dev/2017-March/028884.html
[2] https://lists.webkit.org/pipermail/webkit-dev/2017-April/028932.html