[webkit-dev] Trying to builder older version of webkit (but failing) - looking for help

Ted Stresen-Reuter ted at secret-source.eu
Tue May 22 03:35:01 PDT 2018

(also posted in IRC, but I prefer email)

Hi. My name is Ted. I am a web application developer. I've got a site done
using CSS Grid. Version 10.1.2 (12603.3.8) of Safari has a small issue
rendering one page because we didn't explicitly specify grid-template-rows.

Normally we use browserstack for fixing these types of issues but in this
case the page in question is a long and somewhat complex form and it's
difficult to debug via browserstack. I found this stackoverflow question
that suggests a method for running an older version of Safari but some of
the links are now broken.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/33423269/is-there-a-way-to-install-emulate-an-older-version-of-safari-i-e-8

I decided to try building Safari / webkit on a tag that seemed to be
roughly the version I needed based on the stackoverflow answer but the
build is failing :-(

I can build other software (AppleScript projects I've worked on and some
React Native projects) but webkit just isn't building.

I am trying to build this exact tag:
https://svn.webkit.org/repository/webkit/tags/Safari-603.1.30/

The error I'm getting is:

The following build commands failed: CompileC {long path reduced for
legibility}/AccessibilityImageMapLink.o
accessibility/AccessibilityImageMapLink.cpp normal x86_64 c++
com.apple.compilers.llvm.clang.1_0.compiler

I'm wondering if this version simply won't compile on High Sierra or if I
need a specific version of the XCode Cocoa SDK… My XCode version is Version
9.2 (9C40b)

No idea… Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and very kind regards.

--

Ted Stresen-Reuter

[ted at secret-source.eu]
tel ES: +34 928359902
tel UK: +44 (0)2071933739
Skype: ted at secret-source.eu

secret-source.eu

Like to know more about us? Check out our promo video:
https://vimeo.com/167722524

*For out of hours support please email outofhours at secret-source.eu as my
email is only monitored 9-5 Monday toFriday*