[webkit-dev] Bring back ARMv6 support to JSC

Guillaume Emont guijemont at igalia.com
Tue Sep 12 07:47:55 PDT 2017

Quoting Filip Pizlo (2017-09-05 10:37:16)
> There isn’t anyone maintaining the 32-not JIT ports to the level of quality we have in our 64-not ports. Making 32-bit use the 64-bit cloop would be a quality progression for actual users of 32-bit.

Hi,

I would like to chip in as one of the few people that tries to keep the
JIT afloat on mips32, and also advising Caio for the armv6 port. I agree
that support for this is a bit under-resourced (and we at Igalia are
trying to see if we can do something about it), which means that the
mips port tends to lag behind, and only works decently at some points in
time. These points in time mean that WebKit can be relevant on this
platform though. WPE works pretty well on mips, and there is a strong
interest to use it on mips and armv7 set-top-box environments.

If we drop the JIT support, I am afraid that we will lose the
performances that allow WebKit to be relevant for these applications.  I
am working on doing some measurements in real-world applications to
understand how they will be affected exactly and I will report back.

Cheers,

Guillaume