[webkit-dev] Bring back ARMv6 support to JSC

Yusuke SUZUKI utatane.tea at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 01:43:31 PDT 2017

On Wed, Sep 6, 2017 at 3:24 AM, Filip Pizlo <fpizlo at apple.com> wrote:

> > On Sep 5, 2017, at 10:51 AM, Olmstead, Don <Don.Olmstead at sony.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > We have plans to add a JSC-Only windows bot in the very near future.
> Would that have any bearing on the state of JIT in Windows?
>
> Not really.
>
> Because of the poor state of that code, I think we should rip it out.
>
> Also maintaining the 32_64 value representation is no value for us.

I think keeping Windows support would be good. I believe Sony folks are
working on Windows improvement, and it would be fine if they can keep
watching JSC on Windows.
And it means that we can keep WebKit fast at major latest architectures
including macOS / Linux / Windows (with 64bit CPUs), which is fine.

My largest concern about dropping JIT for various platforms is that LLInt
performance would be not good compared to JIT-ed environment.
We could remove DFG for 32bit (not sure). But I think PolyIC can be
critical for performance.
JS performance largely depends on this feature.

BTW, I strongly agree that newer feature should focus on 64bit
architecture. (I'm opposed to adding 32bit support to FTL).