[webkit-dev] Formatting style for inline comments in Python code

Ryosuke Niwa rniwa at webkit.org
Thu Oct 26 14:27:46 PDT 2017

On Thu, Oct 26, 2017 at 11:05 AM, Alexey Proskuryakov <ap at webkit.org> wrote:

> 26 окт. 2017 г., в 9:50, Brian Burg <bburg at apple.com> написал(а):
>
> why differ from the vast majority of all other Python code in existence,
> just to be different? What's the point?
>

> My point is that people familiar with all other Python code in existence
> will not be hacking on webkitpy. It's WebKit C++ developers who we want to
> contribute to webkitpy more, and super arbitrary differences that are
> impossible to rationalize are an unnecessary barrier to entry.

I'm with Alexey here. We don't have a problem of many non-WebKit
contributor Python developers wanting but not being able to contribute to
webkitpy; we have a problem where nobody who hacks on C++ code can make
changes they want to make to webkitpy.

We should lower the barrier to hack on webkitpy as much as possible, and
that involves matching WebKit coding style guideline as much as possible.

> If "WebKit developers" want to write Python code, perhaps they should
> learn the Pythonic idioms of the language
>
> For what purpose? I don't see why having two spaces before a comment is a
useful idioms of Python to adopt. Semantics such as using a list
comprehension instead of for/while loop and using duck typing instead of
creating a completed class hierarchy is a lot more important idioms of
Python.

- R. Niwa