[webkit-dev] Formatting style for inline comments in Python code

Alexey Proskuryakov ap at webkit.org
Thu Oct 26 09:21:59 PDT 2017

> 25 окт. 2017 г., в 18:21, Michael Catanzaro <mcatanzaro at igalia.com> написал(а):
>
> On Wed, Oct 25, 2017 at 4:58 PM, Aakash Jain <aakash_jain at apple.com> wrote:
>> Does anyone else has any opinion/preference for this?
>
> The number of spaces before a comment really does not matter, but my $0.02: PEP8 is an extremely common style for Python programs that all Python developers are familiar with. I would follow that, and forget about trying to adapt WebKit C++ style to an unrelated language. Trying to adapt the style checker to ignore particular PEP8 rules seems like wasted effort.

There is definitely a number of PEP8 rules that we want to follow. But I don't think that there is anything about the two space before comment rule that makes it particularly fitting for Python.

I think that we should target WebKit developers with the coding style as much as possible, not Python developers. As we all agree on the one space rule elsewhere, why make a part of the code base uncomfortably different for most WebKit developers?

- Alexey