[webkit-dev] Intent to remove the WebCore::IconDatabase (GTK needs to make a decision)

Brady Eidson beidson at apple.com
Tue Jun 27 09:41:09 PDT 2017

> On Jun 27, 2017, at 9:36 AM, Carlos Garcia Campos <carlosgc at webkit.org> wrote:
> El mar, 27-06-2017 a las 18:19 +0200, Carlos Garcia Campos escribió:
>> El vie, 16-06-2017 a las 09:43 -0700, Brady Eidson escribió:
>> [...]
>>>>> If not, I can get rid of it right now
>>>>> If so, then I need a GTK maintainer to come up with a plan
>>>>> soon.
>>>> How soon is soon? :-) We are approaching the end of our release
>>>> cycle,
>>>> it would be good for us if we could do any changes related to
>>>> this
>>>> after we branch for 2.18. Of course I can branch earlier if
>>>> needed.
>>>> According to our schedule we should branch the first week of
>>>> August. Is
>>>> that late?
>>> That’s much later than the soon I was targeting.
>>> Hoping to do this by the end of June.
>> Ok, I've found time today to work on this. I don't have time to re-
>> implement WebKitFaviconDatabase using a different database model, so
>> I've copied IconDatabase from WebCore to WebKit and used it directly
>> from WebKitFaviconDatabase. I've switched the client implementation
>> to
>> API::IconLoadingClient too. So, I think you can just remove all the
>> WebCore and WebKit2 code after the patch lands.
>> https://bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=173877
> I forgot to say that copying IconDatabase is just a temporary solution,
> because I don't have time for a proper solution now, so during our next
> release cycle I'll try to either improve or replace it with a new
> implementation that allows to store multiple icons and sizes for the
> same page, etc.

This is great. Thanks!

I’ll review shortly.


More information about the webkit-dev mailing list