[webkit-dev] iOS IDFA

Bruno Roggeri b.roggeri at criteo.com
Fri Jul 28 03:06:23 PDT 2017

Hi all,

As many others working in advertising companies I've been following very closely the announcement of Intelligent Tracking Prevention in the upcoming Safari 11. I wanted to get your thoughts about aligning the browser with the rest of the iOS platform: instead of relying on cookies, how about making the IDFA available in the browser ?

I see many advantages to this solution:
- It offers simple and global privacy controls to the user, on par with the iOS app ecosystem:
 	- Users may reset their ID at any time from their phone
	- They can also easily completely opt out of personalized advertising
- It removes the need for "cookie matching" between advertisers and publishers on the web, which is responsible today for a big share of the network overhead

Is that something that Apple would consider aligned with the way they want to put users in control of their privacy ?

I'd be happy to open a bug and post a patch if it helps the conversation (especially what should be done in private mode and/or if the users activate the DNT option).
Thanks,
Bruno