[webkit-dev] Hosting precompiled `jsc` binaries for Linux

Mathias Bynens mths at google.com
Tue Dec 12 12:18:06 PST 2017

On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 8:52 PM, JF Bastien <jfb at chromium.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 11:42 AM Mathias Bynens <mths at google.com> wrote:

>>> It sounds like our disconnect is on who maintains JSC outside of Apple
>>> ecosystems. The GTK port is not maintained by Apple, though we work closely
>>> with the maintainers and avoid breakage where we can.
>>>

>> JSC is Apple’s JS engine. Who maintains which port of it is a detail that
>> downstream projects should not concern themselves with, IMHO.
>>

> Isn’t that exactly the same as the PPC or S390 versions of V8?
> https://github.com/v8/v8/wiki/Handling-of-Ports
>
> Or the MIPS version of NaCl?

I agree this is the same. If I was building an installer that included
these ports, I’d prefer to get the downloads through Google/V8 too, if
possible.

On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 8:54 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com> wrote:

> We do not have any Linux binaries blessed, approved or endorsed by Apple,
> and we never will, regardless of what domain it's hosted on. However, you
> can get official Linux binaries from parties that own Linux ports.

If the hosting domain doesn’t matter, would you object to it being
webkit.org? All I meant to say is that this would be my preference.

Just to clarify, I’d be excited to get the downloads at all! I understand
who maintains the Linux port, and I appreciate everyone’s hard work on
this.