[webkit-dev] Hosting precompiled `jsc` binaries for Linux

JF Bastien jfb at chromium.org
Tue Dec 12 11:52:53 PST 2017

On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 11:42 AM Mathias Bynens <mths at google.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 8:38 PM, JF Bastien <jfb at chromium.org> wrote:
>

>> On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 11:27 AM Mathias Bynens <mths at google.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Ideally, projects such as jsvu wouldn’t have to make such decisions.
>>> They would trust the maintainer of the JS engine, in this case Apple, to
>>> provide the downloads.
>>>
>>> If Apple trusts Igalia enough, that’s Apple’s decision. Projects such as
>>> jsvu shouldn’t have to duplicate that decision IMHO. The way to do that is
>>> to host binaries on an official domain.
>>>

>> It sounds like our disconnect is on who maintains JSC outside of Apple
>> ecosystems. The GTK port is not maintained by Apple, though we work closely
>> with the maintainers and avoid breakage where we can.
>>

> JSC is Apple’s JS engine. Who maintains which port of it is a detail that
> downstream projects should not concern themselves with, IMHO.

Isn’t that exactly the same as the PPC or S390 versions of V8?
https://github.com/v8/v8/wiki/Handling-of-Ports

Or the MIPS version of NaCl?

To be clear, folks are trying to figure out how to provide binaries despite
who owns what, but it seems like your policy is partly misguided because of
a misunderstanding.

What I’m getting at is: if GTK folks build and host binaries on the
official GTK port site, we should all rejoice.