[webkit-dev] WEB_TIMING enabled on all ports - let's remove the flag?

Ryosuke Niwa rniwa at webkit.org
Tue Aug 1 23:18:17 PDT 2017

On Tue, Aug 1, 2017 at 10:41 PM, Adrien Destugues <pulkomandy at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Some others I see:
>>
>> ENABLE_GEOLOCATION
>> ENABLE_INDEXED_DATABASE
>> ENABLE_CSS_SCROLL_SNAP
>> ENABLE_WEBGL
>> ENABLE_WEB_AUDIO
>
> At least these are still not implemented in the Haiku port. I know we
> are not an upstream port anymore and have little chance of being again
> as I'm slowly trying to catch up with the lates 1.5 years of
> development in WebKit. But having to implement all of these would
> delay my work even more.
>
> As usual, I don't want the Haiku port to pull WebKit backwards, and I
> do plan to implement some of these at some point. However, being able
> to disable them at least for some time lets me work on other, more
> important aspects of the port first.
>
> If the compile time flags are too annoying for that, maybe an
> alternative would be to provide stub implementations, but then support
> for these features should still not be advertised to webpages if the
> port really doesn't support them.

I can see an argument for having build flags for ENABLE_GEOLOCATION,
ENABLE_INDEXED_DATABASE, ENABLE_WEBGL and ENABLE_WEB_AUDIO since they
all more or less require some external dependency (e.g. sqlite) and
platform features (e.g. audio).

Perhaps we could merge some build flags though. e.g. we could merge
ENABLE_VIDEO and ENABLE_WEB_AUDIO into ENABLE_MULTIMEDIA so that you
can only enable both or neither.

- R. Niwa