[webkit-dev] [CMake] Bumping cmake_minimum_required

Michael Catanzaro mcatanzaro at igalia.com
Tue Sep 20 10:00:23 PDT 2016

On Tue, 2016-09-20 at 17:57 +0200, Carlos Garcia Campos wrote:
> So, is our deps policy about build-time only dependencies too? I
> don't
> think it should be.

The problem, as you're well aware, is that once our build dependencies
exceed what's available in a particular distro, that distro will just
say "well I guess we can't do any WebKit updates anymore" and then
users get no more security updates ever. So I would very much like to
count build dependencies towards this policy. Even if it's technically
possible to build packages with custom versions of build dependencies,
I've never seen any distro do it and it's not a fight we're going to
win. Ubuntu just did a major WebKit update, which is great; let's not
imperil future updates.

If we don't want our dependency policy to apply to build dependencies,
we'd need to edit [1].

Michael

[1] https://trac.webkit.org/wiki/WebKitGTK/DependenciesPolicy