[webkit-dev] [CMake] Bumping cmake_minimum_required

Carlos Garcia Campos carlosgc at webkit.org
Tue Sep 20 08:57:39 PDT 2016

El mar, 20-09-2016 a las 10:39 -0500, Michael Catanzaro escribió:
> On Tue, 2016-09-20 at 18:35 +0900, Fujii Hironori wrote:
> >
> > I'm interested in bumping cmake_minimum_required for
> > <https://webkit.org/b/161433>.
> > Which version of CMake is minimum version to be supported?
>
> Hi,
>
> WebKitGTK+ intends to continue supporting 2.8.12 until April, when we
> drop support for Ubuntu 14.04. So the new features you want to use
> should be used conditionally on the CMake version being high enough,
> without bumping the minimum requirement.

So, is our deps policy about build-time only dependencies too? I don't
think it should be. We want people to be able to *use* recent
WebKitGTK+ in older distros, mainly because sometimes full upgrade is
the only way to get security updates. But people *building* WebKitGTK+
can build also any dependency that is missing or not recent enough in
their distro. So, I think we should always allow to bump requirements
of build-only dependencies (CMake, GCC/clang, perl, python, ruby, etc.)
if it helps the project maintenance.