[webkit-dev] Terminology for giving up ownership: take, release, move

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Tue Sep 6 16:48:32 PDT 2016

I thought about why release() seems subtly wrong to me for collections, but not for smart pointers. Specifically, release() puts the focus on giving up ownership, but the in the case of a collection, the most important thing is removal from the collection, where giving up ownership is a detail of the removal. In particular, it doesn't leave a hole, like swap() on spot in the collection with a default-constructed value would, or like release() on a smart does. For this reason, I think move() is also wrong in the collection case).

For similar reasons, having a zero-argument remove() on a smart pointer would read a little weird. Sure, you can think of a smart pointer as a collection of one item, but our actual smart pointers either have clear() or no non-returning removal operation.

Therefore I wonder if consistency between smart pointers and collections is really the most important factor. Smart pointers and collections are different enough that their operations don't have to be named the same.

That said, I do have a proposal that I think is semantically OK for both smart pointers and collections, and also has the correct subject in all cases.

  Non-removing |
  accessor     | remove-only   | remove+get
    get()      |    erase()    |  remove()

This has the additional advantage of somewhat more consistency with std:: containers, which name the plain removal operation erase() rather than remove(). A downside is that anyone used to remove() may call it when erase() would do, possibly resulting in slightly less efficient code.

STL smart pointers have a 0-argument reset for non-returning remove instead, and convention seems to be to use swap() or move() for the returning remove on a smart pointer. So an alternate possibility would be to use the above convention for collections, but make smart pointers have no remove+get operation at all.

For comparison, here is the status quo:

  Non-removing | Smart pointer | Smart pointer | Container   | Container
  accessor     | remove-only   | remove+get    | remove-only | remove+get
    get()      |N/A or clear() |  release()    |  remove()   |  take()