[webkit-dev] [Block Pointer] Deterministic Region Based Memory Manager

Phil Bouchard philippeb8 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 21:33:15 PST 2016

On 03/05/2016 12:07 AM, Ryosuke Niwa wrote:
> Hi Phil,
>
> You made a similar post in December 2014:
> https://lists.webkit.org/pipermail/webkit-dev/2014-December/027113.html
>
> Are you suggesting you have done or ready to do the following?

I just completed the implementation of block_ptr<> but I am ready to run
benchmarks on my laptop once the code is integrated locally on my computer.

I work for a smart TV company which uses WebKit so I can ask assistance
from their part if I need to but I need to know the interests from the
Open Source community first.

>> Let’s be clear, though: we’re unlikely to accept a patch in which all of our JS object references are replaced by uses of your block_ptr, unless that patch is a significant speed-up on web benchmarks, there aren’t any slow-downs, and you can prove that all of the JSC GC’s lifetime semantics are preserved (including tricky things like the relationship between Executable objects, Structure objects, and CodeBlocks).
>
> Otherwise, I don't think we would be adopting your memory management
> library anytime soon.   I don't think we're interested in
> experimenting with your library on behalf of you either given
> implementing a concurrent GC on top of our existing GC would be much
> lower risk and will address some of the issues you have pointed out in
> the thread.

It depends on the complexity of swapping the garbage collector with the
block_ptr<> in WebKit.  If that is easy I can do it myself on my laptop.
  If not then perhaps I can download the garbage collector and compare
it with block_ptr<> but objectively; including the collection cycle.

I wasn't confident in 2014 because my code wasn't solid but now I am.  I
just need some minimal guidance.

Regards,
-Phil