[webkit-dev] Support "registerProtocolHandler" in WebKit2

Michael Catanzaro mcatanzaro at igalia.com
Tue Jun 2 05:21:12 PDT 2015

On Wed, 2015-05-20 at 10:31 +0900, Gyuyoung Kim wrote:
> I would like to listen what do you think to support
> 'registerProtocolHandler' in WebKit2.
>
> This feature is to execute web content through registered custom
> protocol.

Hi,

I think this would be useful for GNOME. One of our goals is for the
user to be able to set GMail as the default mail application in System
Settings. If the user visits gmail.com and it attempts to register
itself as a mailto:// handler, I envision the WebKitGTK+ would fire a
signal that would trigger Epiphany to display an info bar to ask the
user for approval. If the user approves the registration, we would go
one step further: we'd create a new web application for GMail and in
the desktop file indicate support for the MIME type x-scheme
-handler/mailto (or if the user already has a GMail web application,
modify the desktop file to add that MIME type). The user would then be
able to set the GMail web app as the default mail application
systemwide.

We would restrict this functionality to HTTPS sites only. I'd greatly
prefer that restriction to be enforced by WebKit rather than
implementing that policy in Epiphany.

Michael