[webkit-dev] Content-DPR header

Yoav Weiss yoav at yoav.ws
Mon Jun 1 04:30:30 PDT 2015

On Sun, May 31, 2015 at 4:54 AM, Sam Weinig <weinig at apple.com> wrote:

> Hi Yoav,
>
> Sorry, but I’m afraid I’m still not really getting it.  Can you get even
> more concrete?  Perhaps provide some a sample page that would need this
> kind of functionality and go through what Content-DPR values would be used?

Sure. Let's take this very simple sample site
<http://jsbin.com/rofewawuyo/1/edit>.
If you wanted to optimize the image there with Client-Hints, you'd need
some way to tell the browser that it has been modified, and that even
though you provided it with a 400x400 pixel image, it should display it
over a 200x200 CSS pixel box.
A "Content-DPR" header value of 2 would enable the browser to know that the
server has reacted to the DPR hint request header, and scale the CSS pixels
it displays the image on accordingly.