[webkit-dev] Support "registerProtocolHandler" in WebKit2

Sam Weinig weinig at apple.com
Sat Jul 4 10:24:55 PDT 2015

(Sorry, had this sitting in my drafts).

My concern with the registerProtocolHandler() API is that it complicates an already the very complicated area of custom protocols and a good implementation requires configuration UI (to choose which of potentially multiple apps/websites you want a specific protocol to go to) that I am not sure users are in the position make.

That, coupled with the small existing usage on the web and very few (if any) reports from developers that they want this, leads me to think it isn’t a good API for us to support.

From an implementation perspective I also have concerns.  How is this should the registration data be managed? Can it fit in the WebSiteData model we are using for other data? Does it account for non-persistent sessions?  And lastly, can we get the code size of supporting a feature like this to be smaller?

- Sam