[webkit-dev] WebRTC in WebKit

Benjamin Poulain benjamin at webkit.org
Wed Jan 28 11:14:01 PST 2015

Getting WebRTC working on WebKitGTK sounds awesome.

I am a little concerned with the use of an abstraction layer as a
backend. I am afraid this could lead to weird abstractions.

Typically in WebKit we try to have baseline code in C++ that handles
everything that can be shared between ports, and platform abstractions
for everything port and/or platform specific.

Using OpenWebRTC, there would be no abstractions and WebCore would just
be a bridge between JavaScript and OpenWebRTC. Is that correct?

Could you explain a bit why you chose to use an abstraction layer at the
WebRTC level instead of interfacing directly with GStreamer at the
platform abstraction level?

Benjamin